Vegan Thai Lemongrass & Butternut Squash Soup!
I love this soup because it's not your typical thanksgiving meal soup where it's kind of heavy. This is more of a broth based soup and brings light and playful flavours without being overpowering! This recipe has been adapted from the Delicious Everyday Blog!
1 tbs Olive Oil
1 onion coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic grated
1.5 kg butternut pumpkin peeled and chopped, (3 pounds)
1 lemongrass stalk finely chopped or grated
1 tbs fresh ginger grated
1 bunch cilantro
1 litre vegetable stock (4 cups)
400 ml coconut milk (13.5 oz)
1 tsp sea salt
1) Remove the roots and stalky ends from the coriander. Wash the leaves and dry in a salad spinner or paper towel before roughly chopping. Wash the roots and stalks well to remove any dirt clinging to the roots. Shake off any water and finely chop.
2) Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat before adding the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
3) Add the ginger, lemongrass and coriander roots and stalks. Cook until the stalks become soft before adding the pumpkin.
4) Toss the pumpkin in the oil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil before reducing the heat to lower. Cook for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
5) Pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Add most of the cilantro leaves. Blend until the soup is speckled with flecks of green.
6) Return to a clean saucepan and add the coconut milk. Serve with whatever garnish you'd like! I recommend topping it with cilantro and roasted pumpkin seeds!
Don't forget to check out the rest of the Thanksgiving lineup HERE
Thanks for reading! Happy Holidays, enjoy!
*All photos in this post were taken by Tuesday Butcher Photography*