Okay, I was hustling but I made this Vegan Spicy Peanut Pad Thai in about 30 minutes and it made 4 large servings. I'll warn you now that I didn't measure exactly but I want you to challenge yourself. If you're not in the kitchen often, you can do this! Trust yourself. Taste as you go! I will give rough measurements and then it's up to you!
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
-4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 package of puffed tofu (I get mine from Superstore)
-2-3 carrots, sliced thin, diagonally
- 1/2 cup of frozen edamame (optional)
- 1 package (4 servings) of flat rice noodles
- optional: cilantro, crushed peanuts, bean sprouts for garnish
- Peanut Sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- juice from a lime
- 2 tbsp sriracha or chili sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Cook rice noodles according to package instructions.
Heat a large pan and add 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil. Add in chopped onion and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in halved puffed tofu and peppers, and cook for another minute. Add in chopped garlic, and edamame.
Mix peanut sauce ingredients and taste to adjust. It should be slightly salty since it will chill out once added to the noodles and vegetables but not overly. Don't add salt, just add 1 tsp more soya sauce as needed.
Rinse noodles with cold water, add back to the pot with the vegetables and then cover with peanut sauce. Mix until coated. Serve hot with cilantro, chili flakes, crushed peanuts, and bean sprouts!